The SBNS Online Forum
Please log in or register.

If you do not receive your confirmation email or have difficulty registering/with the forum, please use the contact button at the bottom.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The SBNS Online Forum
Please log in or register.

If you do not receive your confirmation email or have difficulty registering/with the forum, please use the contact button at the bottom.
The SBNS Online Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jesus - The Complete Story

4 posters

Go down

Jesus - The Complete Story Empty Jesus - The Complete Story

Post by Admin Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:06 am

Okay, so I watched some of this really interesting documentary last night on Jesus. It was on the Discovery Channel, so I'm sure you can find info on it, on the website. I have to say, I was impressed with the way that it seemed very "gnostic" in it's approach. First, it started with the birth and early years of Jesus, which was called Jesus: The Birth. Then, it was Jesus: The Mission, followed by Jesus: The Last Days (i think it's like a three hour documentary, in one hour segments). I was only able to watch the last of The Birth and most of The Mission.

What makes me appreciate the Gnostic approach about it, was that it didn't just take the Bible's word for everything, but it based it's facts on archeology, Judaic history, and history in general. There was a wide array of Archeologists, Scholars, and Theologians that were interviewed, speaking what they believed and knew to be true. And amazingly enough, they quoted from the Gnostic Gospels a lot, using them as "more realistic accounts of the times in which Jesus lived, as opposed to the gospels written by those who truly felt that Jesus was Divine and not human."

Some of the very interesting facts that were mentioned, are:
1. According to Jewish and Judiac law and religion, if Mary was really a virgin when Jesus was born, she would have been stoned to death. If not by others, than by her family, simply because she would have brought shame to the family name by being with a man before marriage. Idea

2. A biologist that was interviewed, claimed that there could be the possibility for a woman to be able to give birth to a child without having sex; however, the possibility of this happening, is like one in 500 BILLION women. And even so, a scholar of Jewish religion, also stated that if Mary actually was pregnant with Jesus without having sex, and the family did believe her claims of being a virgin, she would have been killed because they believed she was carrying a Demon. Because religious beliefs would have only suggested that the child was a demon. Duh!

3. Also, the book of Luke, which talks about the Nativity, spoke of Joseph and Mary traveling to Bethleham, but it was written 40 years after Jesus's death. And if that were the case, why is it that only Luke knew of this journey and not the other disciples? Furthermore, a woman in those times, traveling on the back of a donkey, while in labor...Not Very Likely!!

4. The belief that Jesus was born in a manger, doesn't support the Jewish religion and laws at the time. After all, Joseph was returning to Bethleham to be counted in the house of his FAMILY! Which means, that he would have been returning to a house of his Family members! And at the time, in a smaller city like Bethleham, those who had animals and livestock, would have brought them into their houses at night, to keep from having them stolen from thieves. There were even small alcoves in which the animals were kept, and would also allow for their body heat to rise up, and keep the family that lived above the animals, warm. This is very well where the idea of being born in a manger came from, since there was animals present. Especially when you want to promote the idea that the child that was born, was the Messiah. How much would it hurt your case, if you stated that he was born in a house like everyone else?

5. The Star that guided the three "wise men" was actually Jupiter, which was used by the earliest Astrologers to predict the future for Kings. After all, why else would Herrod have been so worried when he was warned by his "prophets" that the "Messiah would be born." Hence why he had all the children murdered. Obviously, those "prophets" had to have been either Psychic or Astrologers. And according to one of the leading Astronomers in the world, Jupiter would have been the brightest shining "star" in the night sky on the night that Jesus was born, simply because of a big screw up the guy that invented the calendar made. The calendar is actually six years off of being accurate. Which means that the "star that shined all night and into day" (as mentioned in the Bible) during the time of Jesus's birth, was actually Jupiter in the direct line between the Sun and Earth. Which is where the three "wise men" came into the scene. If they knew that "a king was born" it had to have been because they were Astrologers!! Why else be so surprised and inspired by a shining star, unless you knew that that "star" was used in astrology to foretell of Kings and royalty? Thinking

6. The Temple at the time of Jesus's early years, had enormously massive steps that lead up to it, which was were the sick and the lame, and the undesirables were left, because they were too "unclean" to enter the Temple. This is also where the more "enlightened" Rabbis would come out once a day, and talk to these poor people, and teach them about God. It was here, that Jesus was found by Mary and Joseph, as he was talking to the Rabbis about God, and learning at such a young age, that it wasn't right to leave the people who needed to be blessed and know that God loved them, instead of those who were perfectly capable of bringing their money into the Temple. This is also where Jesus learned about the corruption of the Rabbis and preists. Which is why he came back later, as an adult, and stormed into the Temple, calling them "money changers" and told them to "render unto Caesar the things that which are Caesar's. And render unto God, the things that are God's." This is also why Jesus began to preach to the sick, lame, undesirables, because he knew that these people wouldn't find any comfort or help from the Rabbis and preists in the Temple.

Like I said, this was a VERY INTERESTING documentary!! If you get a chance, Tivo it, DVR it, but make sure you see it! Joyful
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Life Themes : No Idea...!
Libra Dog
Joined date : 2008-02-18

https://sbns.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Jesus - The Complete Story Empty Re: Jesus - The Complete Story

Post by Guest Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:15 am

hmm...too bad I missed it. no dvr for me either..oh well
thanks for filling us in on it.
During the sermon yesterday at church, the pastor asked (rhetorically of course) what our favorite gospels were? I answered under my breath "THOMAS" or maybe it's MARY Giggle
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by samijo Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 am

I read one time that "virgin" back in a day(also now) meant that they had not been with another man before the marriage.
THEREFORE THERE ARE ALOT OF VIRGIN BIRTHS. Cheer Leader
samijo
samijo

Leo Dragon
Joined date : 2008-02-19

http://www.psychicreadingsbysami.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:46 pm

here's some facts about what was mentioned in the documentary that i can find, instead of all the bull...hocky that people are saying about it (gee, the comments and things that the "true" Christians are saying about it, reminds me SO MUCH of the Da Vinci Code's outcry! LROF )

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2001/04/13/DD225236.DTL

like i said, everything else i can find written about it, is people trying to say how INaccurate it is, because it doesn't use the Bible as the source of Truth!
Not that I'm judging these people, but man...if we had all these people in a room, we wouldn't want for wool! Sheep
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Life Themes : No Idea...!
Libra Dog
Joined date : 2008-02-18

https://sbns.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cylvia Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 am

Interesting! But there are zillions of versions about Jesus now, including the Jesus never existed version. Don't know which one to accept.

Cylvia

Joined date : 2010-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Jesus never existed...LOL
wow....LOL

it's the teachings that are important to
understand....it helps communites to get along
be peaceful - somewhat.

the beatitudes do help....

I learned in life "ask for nothing get nothing"

he asked or at least shared his thoughts.....
and folks felt good about it.....
it's peversions that make your head spin.....LOL

Keep it Simple that basic version of Jesus Christ is good enough
and following someone else's version isn't following your own....
Sylvia Browne mentions "take what you need and leave the rest"
it's an AA motto and it works with LIFE in general...

Good Luck
I have heard folks say
what does your heart (your soul) believe?
maybe you might decide to "follow your heart"
if you BELIEVE it's in your best interest to do so.....
d-knots
d-knots

Joined date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down